Monday, August 1, 2011

Chainmaille

...or chainmail, depending on how I feel like spelling it.  This is my latest hobby.  I'm hoping to sell these at my mom's store, and maybe even on etsy.  If you don't know, chainmail is what they used to use for armor.  It's basically weaving with metal rings.  It feels really cool and is lots of fun to play with :)

These are the first things I made, some bracelets and a bowlful of crosses:



Now, individual pictures.  First, are half persian 4:1 (every 1 ring goes through 4 other rings) weave bracelets.  I took most of these pictures before I bought clasps for the bracelets.






Now, full persian 6:1:






And now, two bracelets in the "shaggy loops" weave with seed beads.  These are lots of fun :)  They're literally shaggy and really pretty.





...and this is what started it all, chainmail crosses:










Just for fun, I figured out how to make a dodecahedron.  This is just fun to play with :)



4 comments:

  1. The level of detail in your work is incredible! The dodecahedron is my favorite, and the seed-beaded bracelets are beautiful...

    Not a lot of people do chain mail these days. If you keep up the good work, you could skip seminary and go straight to a Hollywood prop department if you wanted to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's so much fun :D

    Haha, don't tempt me...that would be awesome! Too bad it's too late to get a job making mail for the LOTR ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! how neat! the silver, light blue, and sea green loops would make a lovely mermaid-themed seed-bead bracelet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! That is a great idea! I think I'll have to try that...

    ReplyDelete